ISA Examines Emerging Markets for Wide-Format
White paper looks at new print opportunities.
ISA has a released a white paper analyzing emerging areas of opportunity in the wide-format printing market. “Capturing the Next Evolution of Wide Format Print Opportunities,” sponsored by EFI and prepared by Keypoint Intelligence, aims to help printers explore ways to capitalize on the latest opportunities in the industry by examining niche markets and emerging market segments. The white paper specifically narrows in on high-end P-O-P, short-run packaging and prototyping, soft signage and fabrics, digital labels, thermoforming, interior décor and home furnishings, and architectural elements.
Key takeaways and conclusions include:
• Globally, digital wide-format graphics print volume is forecasted to rise from 24.2 billion square feet to 35.5 billion in 2020 with a CAGR of 8 percent.
• Aqueous and dye sub technologies are the two ink types driving the most growth, though all ink types, except solvent, are contributing to the market expansion.
• Emerging techniques such as backlit displays, window graphics, white ink, and floor graphics can drive traffic and increase sales in a retail/P-O-P setting.
• Demand is increasing for prototypes, versioning, specialization, short-run packaging, and customized printing/cutting.
• While vinyl, plastic, and paper have historically served as popular signage substrates, textiles and fabrics are seeing an increase in demand, which is expected to continue in the future.
• Technological advancements, growing popularity of inkjet printing, and new inks and substrates are reducing the barriers to entry in the wide-format industry. Because of this, printers are broadening service offerings, increasing revenues, and improving customer satisfaction, though the increasingly crowded marketplace is driving competition.
The full report can be purchased through ISA.