Nikon Announces 10.2-Mpxl D200 SLR
Features Optical Low Pass Filter to reduce color shifting
Nikon has introduced its latest digital SLR camera"?the D200. Designed for a wide range of users"?including wedding, event, and action photographers"?the 10.2-Mpxl D200 builds on the features of the company's D2X SLR, including its image-processing engine.
The D200 features a new 10.2-Mpxl Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor (23.6 x 15.8 mm) that incorporates high-speed 4-channel data output, as well as a new Optical Low Pass Filter to reduce moire, color fringing, and shifting. Its Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II system helps users determine the ideal exposure even when in complex lighting situations.
Other features on the D200 include:
- An advanced image-optimizing functionality, which allows users to fine-tune image characteristics such as sharpness, tone, color, saturation, and hue. Photographers can also select from preset options like normal, softer, more vivid, portrait, and black-and-white.
- A new 11-area autofocus (AF) system (convertible to a 7-wide area AF system) that supports photographers with fast and precise autofocus under a variety of shooting conditions. In addition, the D200 features a Recent Settings menu that reflects the last 14 settings.
- A 2.5-in. LCD screen with 0.94x magnification and a 170"? viewing angle. It offers a selectable RGB histogram display, and the ability to magnify images up to 400% to allow photographers to inspect the fine details.
- An 0.15-sec power-up and 50-millisecond shutter release lag time; the D200 shoots up to 5 frames/sec, capturing up to 37 JPEG or 22 NEF (RAW) images.
- A magnesium-alloy chassis and body cover, as well as an enhanced environmental sealing system to protect the interior from moisture and dust. Compatible with the Nikon Digital Imaging System, the D200 can accommodate more than 50 Nikkor lenses. It will ship with a copy of Nikon's Picture- Project software for easy image transfer, organization, editing, and design for JPEG and NEF (RAW) images. The SLR is also compatible with Nikon Capture 4.4 software (sold separately). Estimated selling price: $1699.95.