Radiant Orchid Wins Color of the Year
Pantone chooses a color that blooms amongst the rest for 2014.
Pantone has announced Pantone 18-3224 Radiant Orchid – a “captivating, magical, enigmatic purple” – as the color of the year for 2014.
“While the 2013 color of the year, Pantone 17-5641 Emerald, served as a symbol of growth, renewal, and prosperity, Radiant Orchid reaches across the color wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination,” says Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. “An invitation to innovation, Radiant Orchid encourages expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today’s society.”
The annual decision made by Pantone comes from a world search of color influences. The entertainment industry and films that are in production, traveling art collections, new artists, popular travel destinations, and other socio-economic conditions, as well as technology and textures and effects impacting color are all examples of where the color of the year may be come from.
“An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple, and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love, and health,” says Eiseman. “It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
Note: Radiant Orchid can also be cross-referenced to all other Pantone Libraries including Pantone Plus for graphic design. For cross-referencing information, see www.pantone.com/ColoroftheYear.
Past colors named Color of the Year by Pantone have included:
• Pantone 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
• Pantone 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
• Pantone 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
• Pantone 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
• Pantone 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
• Pantone 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
• Pantone 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
• Pantone 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
• Pantone 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
• Pantone 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
• Pantone 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
• Pantone 19-1664 True Red (2002)
• Pantone 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
• Pantone 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)