SGIA 2008 Awards
Highlights of SGIA award winners across the board.
While attendees scoured the floor at SGIA '08 for the newest products and technologies, various shops, manufacturing companies, and individuals were winning awards.
First up, the Golden Image/Andre Schellenberg Awards, which celebrate the best work within the specialty imaging industry. This year’s contest featured 500 entries in 38 product categories including digital print; the entire list can be found on the SGIA website (www.sgia.org), but here are some highlights:
* DPI Andre Schellenberg Best of Digital Creativity Winner: Medusa, by Dye Into Print (Clifton, New Jersey, www.dyeintoprint.net)
* DPI Andre Schellenberg Best of Show: World Map, by Artie Inc. (Tokyo, Japan)
* ASPT Golden Image Best of Show-Graphics: Cabalito de Mar, by Kolibri Art Studio Inc. (Torrance, California, www.kolibriartstudio.com)
* ASPT Golden Image Best of Show-Garments: 3 Puzzle, by ETF Tekstil (Istanbul, Turkey, www.etf.com)
* Golden Image/Andre Schellenberg People's Choice Winner: Body T-shirt, by Graphics 2000 LLC (Fullerton, California, www.graphictech.net)
SGIA also announced the winners for its DPI Product of the Year awards: Competition entries were judged on the show floor by a team of digital imaging professionals. In the Output Device categories, entrants were required to submit a test print produced from the nominated device.
* Software & Related Systems: Flow+, Caldera Graphics
* Media & Consumables: EcoMedia, EcoMedia
* Textile Products: Digifab Artist Canvas, Digifab Systems
* Finishing: Visual Magnetics "Graphic System," Xcel Products
* Output Devices: Winners were awarded in the following categories:
Poster Size: VersaUV LEC-300 Printer/Cutter, Roland DGA
Direct Photo Print: Lambda, Durst Image Technology US
Rigid Substrate (Solvent Ink): ValueJet 1608-64, Mutoh America
Rigid Substrate (UV-Cured Inkjets up to $150,000): JF-1631, Mimaki USA
Rigid Substrate (UV-Cured Inkjets more than $150,000): Truepress Jet2500UV, Screen USA
Grand Format (UV-Cured Ink): Rho 320R, Durst
Grand Format (Solvent Ink): Jeti 3324 Solvent RTR, Gandinnovations
Textile: Jeti 3324 AquaJet RTR, Gandinnovations
Direct-to-Garment Inkjet Printer: GP-604D, Mimaki USA
Honorable Mention Awards were presented for the following categories: Media & Consumables: PolyeLite, Ultraflex Systems; Output Devices/Poster Size: Epson Stylus Pro GS6000, Epson America; and Output Device/Rigid Substrate (UV-Cured Inkjets more than $150,000): Oce Arizona 350 GT, Oce.
SGIA also issued Partner Awards to various companies for the RIP software and media products used to create the winning prints. For a complete list, visit the SGIA website.
Last but certainly not least, SGIA presented its 2008 DPI Innovator Award Winner award to James Gandy of Gandinnovations. Gandy was honored "for his contributions to the advancements in grand-format digital imaging, such as the company’s line of AquaJet direct-to-fabric digital printers," reports the association.