SGIA’s Women in Print Alliance Now Operating as Advisory Council
Council of 17 printing industry leaders oversees initiatives supporting female peers.
The Specialty Graphic Imaging Association’s (SGIA) Women in Print Alliance is now an official advisory council with 17 female leaders representing different facets of the printing industry. Since 2016, the Women in Print Alliance — including suppliers, executives and educators — has supported and advanced women serving the industry through mentorship, education and personal and professional development.
“This alliance was created to inspire action, promote education, encourage mentorship, foster leadership and celebrate development — and that’s exactly what we’ll do. I am very fortunate to be the liaison for this great group of women who have powered through obstacles to break the glass ceiling,” said Erin Nuss, Manager of Workforce Development, SGIA.
Elaine Scrima, Vice President of Operations at GSP, Women in Print Award recipient, and Big Picture Editorial Advisory Board member, has been named Chair of the Women in Print Alliance advisory council, which had its first meeting in January during SGIA’s 2019 Congress of Committees. While discussing common workplace challenges, the group shared ideas aligning with their mission “to attract, connect and empower women in the print community, so they have every opportunity to excel,” from expanding their generational outreach to offering more regional workshops and seminars.
“It is imperative that we continue engaging and informing future generations of the variety of print opportunities available today,” said Scrima. “Whether it’s owning or managing a shop, designing, selling services or equipment, or becoming an educator — there’s so much more to our industry than ink on substrate.”
In addition to Scrima, the SGIA Women in Print Alliance advisory committee includes:
• Fran Biderman-Gross, CEO, Advantages
• Erin Blank, Creative Services Manager, Heidelberg
• Lori Campbell, COO, The Label Printers
• Ann Crum, Executive Director, Phoenix Inkjet & Colour Solutions LLC
• Denise Gustavson, Editor-in-Chief, Wide-Format Impressions
• Jaime Lynn Herand, VP of Graphic Operations, Orbus Exhibit & Display Group
• Lane Kathryn Hickey-Wiggins, President & CEO, Dprint
• Cheryl Kahanec, CEO, Quantum Group
• Laura Maybaum, Market Segment Manager, Nazdar Ink Technologies
• Adrienne Palmer, Editor-in-Chief, Big Picture magazine
• Tiffany Radar Spitzer, Printer & Technical Manager, Roeder Industries
• Heather Roden, Strategic Account Manager, Zund America
• Xiaoying Rong, Professor, California Polytechnic State University
• Rachel Rossman, Director of Development, Printing Industries of Ohio • N. Kentucky
• Kristin Lanzarone-Scribner, Owner/Operator, WrapStar Pro
• Nona Woolbright, Associate Professor, Clemson University
“I would like 2019 to be the year we further define the Women in Print Alliance’s direction and build additional awareness,” said Scrima. “If we double our reach in 2019, I would consider that a success.”
The Alliance’s largest event is the Women in Print Alliance Breakfast, previously held at the SGIA Expo and set to continue at this year’s PRINTING United expo (October 23–25, Dallas), presented by SGIA and NAPCO Media.
“I’m looking forward to our upcoming breakfast at PRINTING United and seeing what the future holds,” said Nuss. “Women should not have to explain why they are in a meeting or conference; we are all people in print. Having a diverse printing community gives us all the opportunity to reach new heights.”