Student Printing Competition Winners Announced by ASDPT
Tom Frecska Student Printing Awards honor superior imaging work by graphic-arts students.
The Academy of Screen and Digital Printing Technologies (ASDPT) has announced the winners of its Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition. The annual competition honors excellent student work in the specialty imaging field within a variety of categories. Entrants represent secondary (high school and vocational) and post-secondary (technical school, college or university) students. The Student Printing Competition is named in honor of Tom Frecska, the late editor of Screen Printing magazine and one of the strongest supporters of the screen print industry.
Best of Show winners included:
• The Orlando Plunge, by Sarah Faust, Regina Knaus, Martin Mackensen, Moritz Porcher and Marvin Sommer; instructor: Frank Gunkel, Kroschke Sign-International GmbH.
• Escalator to Where? by Jordan Reemsnyder; instructor: Patrick Rose, Clemson University.
A complete list of winners can be found on the SGIA website here.
Each submission was eligible to earn one of three awards:
• Best of Show: Two exceptional entries (one from each division) were chosen from the Award of Excellence winners, and were honored with the Best of Show award. Best of Show winners receive a special Academy Student Achievement Award and a cash prize of $500 to use toward their graphic-arts education. Instructors also receive $500 to use toward the school’s graphic-arts educational program.
• Award of Excellence: First place winners within each category receive an Academy Student Achievement Award.
• Certificate of Merit: An honorable mention may be awarded from each category.
Additionally, each school receives a plaque to showcase winning students honored with the Best of Show Award, Award of Excellence and/or Certificate of Merit.Submissions were displayed at the 2013 SGIA Expo held in Orlando in October.
The Academy of Screen and Digital Printing Technologies was established by the SGIA Board of Directors in 1973. The academy recognizes individuals who have contributed to the technical growth and/or advancement of the screen and digital printing industries. ASDPT recognizes the importance of the education of students in the screen and digital printing processes and seeks to support these future specialty imagers through the Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition.
THE ACADEMY OF SCREEN AND DIGITAL PRINTING TECHNOLOGIES