New UV printer designed for high-volume operations.
EFI previewed its new Vutek DS Series flatbed UV printer at drupa 2008. Referring to the machine as a "digital screen printer" (hence the "DS" badge), EFI is aiming the machine squarely at screenprint operations as well as digital ones, and at high-volume, quick-turnaround applications such as point-of-purchase plus indoor and outdoor display graphics.
The DS flatbed has been designed with a fixed array of printheads, a bed that moves back and forth, and a UV-curing system that "has been newly designed from the ground up" (no more specifics from EFI at this point). The system can print in four or eight-color mode-initial inksets will include CMYK, as well as light cyan, light magenta, light yellow, and light black (white and clear will be available in the future). The machine can hit a high-end speed of 6000 sq ft/hr (at 600 dpi) while producing a top resolution of 1200 dpi.
The DS flatbed is compatible with a wide range of rigid and cut-sheet materials, and can print on paper, film, rigid board, and a variety of specialty substrates. Its maximum media size is 63 x 96 in., and it can accommodate media up to 2-in. thick. It also boasts a user-controllable zoned vacuum table and it supports simultaneous printing of multiple various-sized substrates. An advanced material-handling system, allowing for automatic loading and unloading of substrates is optional.
Other features of the DS Series:
* Continuous ink supply with a secondary ink reservoir to operate continuously for an entire 8-hour shift;
* Vutek Print Manager, which combines the RIP, job management, and printer management;
* Automatic printhead maintenance;
* Support for both stochastic and rosette screening;
* Accurate front-to-back registration; and
* An optional advanced material-handling system capable of loading and unloading a pallet of rigid media material.
The printer is expected to be available in 2009, says EFI.
Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to the magazine.