InfoPrint Solutions will eventually become fully owned by Ricoh.
Ricoh and IBM have announced formation of InfoPrint Solutions Company, a joint-venture company based on IBM's Printing Systems Division. Ricoh initially will acquire 51 percent of the joint venture, and will progressively acquire the remaining 49 percent over the next 3 years as the joint venture evolves into a fully owned subsidiary of Ricoh.
'IBM and Ricoh have both benefited from a strong relationship for many years, and this agreement is a natural extension of that relationship,' says Samuel J. Palmisano, IBM chairman, president, and CEO. 'The eventual transfer of the IBM Printing Systems Division to Ricoh enables IBM to continue to refine its focus on its strategic businesses and the clients of those businesses.'
'This agreement is key to Ricoh's efforts to become a leading global provider of output and print solutions,' says Masamitsu Sakurai, Ricoh president and CEO. 'We will invest the necessary resources to make InfoPrint Solutions Company into a core business.'
According to a corporate backgrounder released by the two companies, InfoPrint Solutions will offer a range of output devices and printing-related technologies, including:
* Workgroup laser and multifunction printers (MFPs) ??"??"grayscale and color printers with speeds up to 55 ppm in both letter and A4 page formats; available with scan, copy and fax multifunction capabilities.
* Impact and thermal industrial printers ??"??" multiform, line matrix and RFID-capable thermal printers for multi-part forms, listings, labels/tags and bar codes.
* Continuous form production printers ??"??" printers designed for high-volume statement output and on-demand publishing, offering 600-dpi image quality, speeds up to 1440 ipm, and broad media support, as well as highlight color options.
* Cutsheet production printers ??"??"high-speed, cut sheet production printers for data centers and departmental print on demand; these will operate at speeds up to 105 ipm and perform collation, stapling, insertion and booklet making finishing features.
* Printing and output software ??"??"a full line of print-management, middleware, business communication, document design and print utilities and software tools.
* Output management consulting and services ??"??"output-management solutions that can integrate seamlessly with customers??"??"?? infrastructure and third-party systems.
* Support and maintenance ??"??"expert service support team and proven maintenance-management methods.
InfoPrint Solutions Company's worldwide headquarters will be located in Boulder, CO, currently the headquarters of the IBM Printing Systems Division. The general manager of the IBM Printing Systems Division, Tony Romero, will head the new company as president and CEO. It is expected to have an employee base of 1200.