The annual expo -- to be held October 7-9 in New Orleans -- offers something for everyone.
Here’s a look at just a few of the other educational highlights:
• 2009 State of the Industry: Katy Sauër Lellelid, business information associate with SGIA, will analyze the latest industry stats.
• Flatbed Economics – What Flatbed Press is Right for You?: Explores the fi nancial model to determine the appropriate time to add a flatbed or upgrade, and evaluates how the purchase decision impacts a shop’s bottom line. Led by Fujifilm Sericol’s Jeffrey Nelson.
• Sourcing Sustainable Products: Why Is It So Difficult?: Laura Maybaum, graphics market segment manager for Nazdar, will highlight the lack of green products and information facing print providers and provide basic guidance.
• High Volume Digital Print Production and Workflow Automation: Will focus on current trends in high-volume inkjet printing systems for the wide-format market, including
how technology enables higher-volume digital printing; workflow characteristics that are making the implementation of these systems successful; and types of applications
that are being produced by users of the equipment. Durst’s Christopher Howard and Michael Lackner will lead the session.
• From Cottage to Mass to Micro: Micro Manufacturing for the New Economy: I.T. Strategies’ Patti Williams will give tips on niche markets and sustainable business models.
• Pricing of Digital Graphics: A full print overview, including speeds, costs, inks, media, laminates, substrates, and finishing, led by David King of MarketKing; the session
will also examine sales and marketing side to help print shops land more clients.
• The Challenge of a Complete Digital Workflow: Inca Digital’s Heather Kendle will provide an overview of the system components a print provider should consider when
installing digital-graphic capabilities.
• Introduction to Color Management: Jeff Burton, digital print analyst for SGIA, will discuss color-management systems and software use, color profiling basics, color space/gamut, RGB versus CMYK, color-behavior management, color matching, and common color lingo.
• Recycling 101: Brett Thompson with Laird Plastics and Theresa Vanna of Pace Industries will discuss successfully implementing a recycling program.
• Neutral Gray Color Control for Screen and Digital Printers: A look at the effectiveness and speed neutral gray print density brings to digital printing and screenprinting, led by
Nazdar’s Mike Ruff .