Also: Becomes exclusive distributor of ColorCert Software for color consistency in packaging production.
X-Rite has launched a free ColorTrue App for Apple iOS and Google Android platforms.
Designed to provide prepress professionals, designers, and photographers with the ability to calibrate and profile tablets and mobile devices for accurate color matching, ColorTrue creates a custom display profile for iOS and Android mobile devices using a supported X-Rite measurement device. The user places the connected device on the tablet or phone when prompted and the measurement process begins automatically; the profile is applied to all images displayed through the ColorTrue Image Gallery, providing the user with an accurate color match to a desktop reference monitor, or other color-managed monitors.
The app’s Image Gallery viewer provides the user with a set of tools for a high level of color-accurate viewing, including:
• Ambient Light Compensation: ColorTrue adjusts to ambient viewing condition, ensuring that images are displayed correctly regardless of the lighting condition and display brightness setting.
• Print Simulation: Allows for previewing or soft-proofing images using different printer profiles and rendering intents
• White Point: Users can match tablet to desktop, ensuring they are assessing the same image on tablet and desktop; users can choose between D65, D50, and Native white point.
• ICC Profile: Embedded image profiles are provided or users can manually select correct working color spaces for images (sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB).
• Before and After: Allows for toggling the calibration on and off to see the color accuracy improvements on images/
Note: An X-Rite measurement device is required for the ColorTrue calibration process. iOS phones and tablets support ColorMunki Smile, ColorMunki Display, i1Display Pro, and i1Pro 2; Android phones and tablets support ColorMunki Display and i1Display Pro.
X-Rite also has announced its ColorTrue Aware partner program. The company’s soon-to-be released Software Developers Kit (SDK) will allow third-party app developers access to the ColorTrue profile, enabling them to seamlessly deliver color management within their own app(s), X-Rite reports.
“As tablets and mobile devices increasingly permeate color and image based workflows, it has never been more important that these devices become truly color accurate,” says Steve Rankin, X-Rite product manager. “Our goal is to enable app developers and help create an eco-system of color-managed apps.”
In addition, X-Rite has announced that it has become the exclusive distributor of Nelissen Consulting’s ColorCert software and has simultaneously launched ColorCert 2.0: X-Rite Edition, an X-Rite branded edition. Aimed at the package-production market, ColorCert software is designed to simplify color communication from the artwork phase through the press room.
“The fact that X-Rite has chosen ColorCert as its main offering for statistical process control of packaging colors speaks for the quality of the solution,” says Christian Nelissen, founder and owner of Nelissen Consulting. “I’m convinced that by combining ColorCert with X-Rite’s industry-leading solutions and leveraging the X-Rite and Esko global network, we will create a new de-facto standard for the communication and control of color in the packaging industry.”
The ColorCert 2.0: X-Rite Edition will be available directly through X-Rite, the company’s network of authorized dealers in the Americas and Europe, and Esko for all brand offerings. Current ColorCert customers will be managed through X-Rite.
Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to the magazine.