WA members and attendees were given the opportunity to explore new ideas, attend education sessions, and network.
The Wallcoverings Association – the nonprofit trade association that represents wallcovering manufacturers, distributors, and industry suppliers – held its annual meeting this past February at the Sandpearl Resort in Clearwater Beach, Florida. During the three-day meeting, approximately 150 members of the association and other attendees were given the opportunity to explore new ideas, attend education sessions, and network.
In addition to featuring individual suppliers meetings and a networking reception, the event focused heavily on educational seminars. Speakers included:
• Bill Freeman, consultant to the Resilient Floor Covering Institute, who spoke on product transparency declarations;
• Brian Beaulieu, an economist with ITR Economics;
• Mike Strauss, president of Interior Design Media;
• Richard P. Honack, academic director for several Kellogg School Executive Education Programs, who shared his insight on the changing values and dynamics of the six-generations that makeup the culture in today’s marketplace and the impact they have in the marketing of services and products;
• Joe Contrera, president and founder of Alive @ Work, a leadership and sales consulting firm;
• Bruce Ford, senior vice president of sales for Lodging Econometrics, who focused on hotel real estate; and
• John Dixon, managing director of Whittle Industry Data, which specializes in producing business statistical services for trade associations.
During the event, Philip J. Tarullo, president, CEO, and owner of LSI Wallcovering – a manufacturer of commercial wallcovering products for the global building interiors market – received the 2013 Justin P. Allman Award, the wallcovering industry’s highest honor.
“Many things in life are cyclical. While the wallcovering industry worldwide is a significant industry, some markets have been in a downward trend for years now. They will cycle back and there is an opportunity for an industry renaissance,” said Tarullo. “It will require the industry to work together with a passion to innovate products, processes, and marketing through technology. The success will be determined by how well we as an industry attract new, you talent to the business.”
The 2015 Wallcoverings Association Annual Meeting is scheduled for February 8-10, 2015, again at the Sandpearl Resort in Clearwater.
Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to the magazine.