Color flexibility, variable-dot imaging among the enhanced features of the JV300-130 and JV300-160.
Available in two models, the Mimaki JV300 series of eco-solvent inkjet printers from Mimaki USA include eight ink channels with a variety of ink and color options to address a wide range of applications. Introduced in May at FESPA 2014 in Munich, the models in the line include the JV300-130 (53 in. wide) and JV300-160 (64 in. wide).
The printers feature newly designed printheads in a staggered dual-head configuration to deliver a wider print swath per pass, increasing productivity. To achieve precise dot placement onto the media, Mimaki designed optimum waveforms so that each color jets at the appropriate angle without deforming the droplets, improving image quality. The printers feature variable-drop technology, with dot sizes ranging from 4-35 pL; the small drops produce smoother gradients and quartertones, while larger drops enable uniform solid colors. The printers also incorporate MAPS3 (Mimaki Advanced Pass System 3) anti-banding technology.
The printers use Mimaki’s SS21 eco-solvent inks available in nine colors that can be combined in numerous ways to support a wide variety of applications. For example, in order to produce smooth, vibrant colors, users could choose to print CMYKLcLmLkO; the orange ink available in the SS21 ink line is treated as standard process color in the RIP, eliminating the need to work in the Hexachrome color space while reportedly allowing users to reproduce up to 92% of Pantone colors. For high-density white printing, users can print in CMYKLcLm+ 2 Whites, or for higher print speeds they can print in 2 x CMYK mode. Its new SS21 white has a 25% improvement in opacity while allowing for higher-speed printing, according to Mimaki.
For textile and apparel printing, Mimaki’s Sb53 dye-sublimation inks are also compatible with the JV300 printers. Colors in the Sb53 line include magenta, blue, yellow, black, light blue, and light magenta.
The printers offer five print modes ranging from SuperDraft (360 x 360 dpi, single pass) to High Quality (720 x 1080 dpi, eight pass). Quoted print speeds range from 144-991 sq ft/hr in 2 x CMYK color configuration.
Additional features of the JV300 models include:
• A Nozzle Check Unit that looks for potential nozzle outages between jobs, reducing media waste and downtime, along with a Nozzle Recovery System that assigns operational nozzles as substitutes until an outage can be cleared.
• New media-handling features such as independent pinch rollers that result in more accurate printing with less damage to the media.
• A media-handling system that supports feeding and take-up of rolls up to 88 lb.
• Media heating system that ensures uniform ink drying and allows for consistent image quality across the entire length of the media.
• Standard bulk ink system that features 2-liter ink packs for all colors but white, which is only available in 220-ml cartridges; 440-ml cartridges for colors other than white are optional.
• Low-ink indicator and automatic pausing if an ink color is not replenished in time, reducing waste.