Roland Announces VersaCamm VS-640 with Metallic Ink.
Widest, fastest in VersaCamm line.
Roland DGA Corporation has announced the new 64-inch VersaCamm VS-640 inkjet printer/cutter, which features the company’s Metallic Silver Eco-Sol Max ink. Now the largest model in the VersaCamm line, the VS-640 is also the line’s fastest, boasting print speeds up to 248 sq ft/hr.
Users can choose from three inkset configurations: CMYKx2; CMYKcmCM for enhanced blues and reds, flesh tones, and lighter colors; or CMYKcm+Mt+W for adding metallic-silver and white ink. The new printer also features:
• Roland’s Intelligent Pass Control, which helps produce smoother gradations and solids, and better color gamut and density;
• New printhead technology for precision variable-droplet capabilities (seven different sizes) and a resolution up to 1440 dpi;
• VersaWorks 4.0, the latest version of Roland’s RIP software (see below for more information);
• An advanced media-handling system for accurate media feeding (supports rolls up to 88 lbs); and
• Roland “OnSupport,” a new online customer-support system allowing users to remotely track the status of VS-640 activities (when a job is completed, when ink is running low, etc.).
Typical applications for the VS-640: signs, banners, vehicle graphics and wraps, fine-art posters, packaging prototypes, labels, decals, point-of-purchase displays, heat transfers for apparel, and more.
Price: $26,495; scheduled for availability in March 2010.
In addition, Roland has released VersaWorks Version 4.0, a full-featured, easy-to-use RIP software package developed for its line of wide-format printers and printer/cutters. Based on the latest Adobe CPSI 3019 engine, VersaWorks 4.0 offers several new features including: a new Metallic Color Spot Library with more than 500 metallic colors; the ability to choose various print modes/presets (such as high-speed mode for production banner printing, Max Impact for vivid outdoor graphics, and Artistic mode for indoor graphics); variable-data printing; support for up to four Roland devices simultaneously; and more. Existing Roland customers can upgrade to 4.0 free of charge.
And, Roland has announced that Corel’s new CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5 (see our March issue, page 38) now features Roland Color libraries for contour cutting and spot-color matching including the company’s entire metallic color library and an additional library for printing Roland’s white, clear, and metallic-silver inks and creating contour cut lines recognized by Roland’s printer/cutters and cutters.